- The work experience program offers 6th grade students and 5th grade students the opportunity to have a real experience in a company or organization during the project week (30/03/2020-03/04/2020 for S5 or the school year’s last week 29/06/2020-03/07/2020 for S5 or S6 or during their holidays. (S5, S6, S7)
- For S6 students who do not go on school trip during the project week a Work experience or an language camp (not organised by the school) is mandatory.
- We are always looking for interesting opportunities for our students. If your company or organisation would like to offer a Work experience you can register via the following link: formulaire
- Although highly recommended, work experience is not compulsory.
- Students are invited to find a company for their placement by themselves. However, lists are available in the office of “Vie Scolaire”, R232 and the head of program can provide them with ad hoc advice. In addition, the school is offering a limited number of placements.
- So far, the students have chosen various areas for their work experience: medical, journalism, translation, science, IT, zoology, administration,…
- Spoken languages are mainly French and English but also Dutch, Spanish, German and others, as work experiences can take place in an EU country. It can obviously be an opportunity to improve your language skills as well.
- All students participating to the program will be covered by an insurance provided by the school.
- Students can go for an internship in all EU countries. Due to the variety of placements and the number of risks, students will be asked to find a work experience in an EU member state. Traineeships in other countries might be authorized if parents/legal tutor discharge the schoolmaster of his responsibility related to the organization and the follow-up of the work experience. Parents cover all costs related to transportation, repatriation, medical (hospitalization regardless of the reason : sickness, accident,…)and declare in writing not to sue the European School for all matters related to a non EU work experience.
Why should you participate ?
- To discover the professional world
- To check whether you clearly understand what your dream job is all about
- It’s a great opportunity
- To gain the necessary experience to apply to some universities
How to participate ?
- Print out the parent consent form and hand it over to to Mr Beliën (office V11) .
- Once you have found a company, fill out the electronic company details form
- Ask for a paper version of the Work experience contract in V11
- Return the signed contract with you, the school and the organization in three copies in V11
- The deadline to start the administrative process is 15/06/2019
Then, once you have been accepted in a company/organization, you will complete a work experience contract, signed by you the student, the parents, the school’s headmaster and the organization.
After the work experience, a brief report must be written, and given to Mr Beliën.
A certificate will be delivered to each participating student assuming all administrative paper work is complete.
Respect of « the behaviour code of the perfect trainee ! » :
- Perfect punctuality : If you use public transportation, make sure that you arrive on time. During school holiday, train/tram/MTR/buses are less frequent and the schedule might change
- Appropriate dress code : you are not going to the beach or night club ! Even if temperature rises, wear decent clothes and for the girls, discrete makeup. A tie is not required for trainees.
- A bit of foresight: some companies or organizations might offer lunch but, most of the time, you must pay yourself for your sandwich. Make sure that you have enough money with you, especially if your work experience place is far away from a cash machine
- Respect of « savoir-vivre » rules : do not raid the biscuits box or the Expresso machine. Wait until someone offers you a soft drink or a snack before helping yourself… Be polite : thank, greet and use appropriate vocabulary…
- And particularly, be curious, proactive, get interested in the way the company works overall, ask questions, concentrate when you have a rather complex task, discuss with your parents in the evening if you had a problem, create contacts with people around you,… and enjoy this experience so different from school !
This report must consist of :
front page with :
- Your name, class in 2017-2018 and in 2018-2019 mail address, mobile number ;
- Working place : name of the company/organization, address, name of the person responsible for the work experience and his/her mail address
- Dates of the work experience
The report itself
(2 to 3 A4 pages) with :
- A short summary of the company/organisation : company’s type (multinational, big, average, small or micro company) or organisation (humanitarian, educational, medical, political,..), number of people, type of goods or services,…
- A detailed description of the different daily tasks;
- A personal feedback of the experience : what did I learn during this work experience ? Does this traineeship help me to make a better choice for my future (studies and job) ? This important report will be added to your school file and be precious for university applications.
- Before 30th September (or earlier if you had your WEX during October, Christmas, February , Easter, May holidays)
Delivery of a work experience certificate by the Faculty (The students who did not submit their work experience report will not receive any certificate).
Finding a company
Students are expected to find a company by themselves. However, the project coordinator has a list including previous years’ locations for consultation. That list is confidential and can neither be copied nor uploaded on the website.
During the second term, some internships will be suggested to the school by Eurocontrol & ServeTheCityBrussels (charity work experience). This list will be published in March/April and 6th grade students will then be allowed to apply (respecting the application procedures of the three institutions).
The project coordinator is available to help students find a company according to their skills, interests and motivation.
To write your resume, you can :
- adapt this cv example
- use the European template that can be downloaded from :
- create your own CV with the help of :
Any other question? Please contact Mr Jan Beliën.
PERMANENCE WORK EXPERIENCE V11